A Gameworld of Steampunk and Fantasy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gameworld where steampunk and fantasy unite.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Old Server Blog

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Screenshots of some early Polishing work ive done while waiting out this pandemic, and for a server.

Left: new Steam Truck design, Right: old steam truck design, no longer in game anymore.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Umm210

Car on right: New Armored Truck with Melesian Soldier saluting.
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Umm110

Ive decided to add a flag, with much fun i might add, representing Meles as a Nation rather than simply "a place".
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Meles_13
Back to top Go down
https://midland-steampunk.forumotion.com
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Heres some early work of an idea i have for siege equipment. NPC Siege Weapons. The idea here is to eliminate unnecessary scripts or unreasonable resources that might weigh on a server.

still alot of more polishing work to be done and a few more variations will come out in the weeks to follow.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Gun_cr10
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Critte10

Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Let's do some world building here.

So as i continue to push this into a more realized world and universe it may eventually come down to whether or not i take this into a more grounded universe or continue to create a fantasy universe. Heres the thing about that... It doesnt really matter, but I am still going to explain it.

In the world of Acadias, there exist pockets, or dimensions, that act as one way portals that bring into existence all manner of unexplained phenomena's from people, to objects, to natural and artificial structures.

What this means is your getting a huge dose of magic in this world, so it will be awfully difficult to not understand magic or choose to say it doesnt exist.

This is going to be reflected in this world quite alot. An example will be the presence of Colleges, and Wizard Towers. These are meant to insinuate the understanding that both magic, knowledge, and science sort of co exist in this world and dedicate themselves to its study and practice.

Although many people may consider steampunk should be more grounded in a realistic universe that may be true, if this were Earth... but this is not that world, and will continue to be its own thing. It is meant to be separated from any similarities to such realities that we know and can understand.

The Steampunk aspect comes in the form of a Doctrine. An ideology, or belief, that is spread to the populations of various countries throughout the world. The belief that Designing machines is key to structuring a society and the continuation to become independent from magic.

Last edited by Big Boss on Sun May 17, 2020 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Since I started this world building discussion idea, and alot of free time, I'll go ahead and keep going!

How to explain the presence of Technology in a world steeped with fantasy and magic.

So the worlds definition of technology is something that is created without the aid of Magic in its creation process. Although magic can certainly be integrated into technology, as long as the moving parts of a machine operate without magical aid, it is still considered to be technology. Theres also various other definitions to define technology, such as developing applications for general purposes, but we'll be focusing on the aspect of its purpose vs magical applications.

Now this can go in any direction! i'm going to be upfront. Magic could be described as something thats not fully understood (To a Wild Native a Rifle might be considered magical as an example) so we'll keep this simple.

It should be pointed out that everyone uses technology at some point, but such things as Engines, Carbine Rifles, Automobiles, Trains, Telegraphs, Machines, Robots are part of a category that don't require magic to function in there current capacity. Many individuals in this Era saw this as an opportunity to perfect these forms of technology giving rise to an Industrial Revolution, and emergence of an Early Science and engineering. Although it should be noted this is a pious, religious world so many individuals will believe that inventing will grant them an enlightenment and closeness to there god.

By the time the current year has rolled around, there have been many found Colleges and inventions that have given rise to what became The Doctrine and revolutionary movements where cities are quickly becoming centers for technology and engineering. This in turn does not greatly effect the outside as the aspect of technology is dependent on being crafty rather than seeking perfection. Such things are, and will be medieval in a way. the equivalent of Midlands "Country Side" is made of mostly fortified towns, and villages while maintaining independence with regard to their Machine City Neighbors.
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Here is something I sort of forgot to get around to share. Some early work of an idea I had for quest giving. Ive taken inspiration from several sources of this idea and came up with a "Contract Store" where you can purchase contracts off a board allowing other players to purchase the same quests.

I think the only issue I see here is if everyone takes up a quest off the board, it might clutter the quest logs as everyone rushes off to do the same quests. Its entirely untested as of yet but its a simple idea.

In the Second and Third screenshot below, There are actually several contracts (IE: quests) already made available and are broken down by contract type, Player Required Level, The Contract Issuer (IE: the npc to talk to), and where to find them. Currently this system requires that you have the contract in hand, otherwise the NPC will not understand why you are talking to them  geek

The Purpose of this system: allow for better clarity for quest giving for PC's, Easier transitions of acquiring new quests (As in its much easier to acquire new quests while being busy yourself or looking for something to do), and to allow the PC to see the quest before they take it.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Qst110
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Qst210
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Qst310
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 10:42 am

Working on repolishing content, and redoing the entire city (There isnt much to the city in terms of area's, but it will look and feel big & busy!). So far ive completed a major portion of it and got around to the final zones making the city feel more alive and busy.

So now you'll get to experience all the ever growing city health concerns and air pollution, just like everyone else in the city does
. tongue

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 City_s10

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 City_s12
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Thanks to the work from Azimn on his Warforged Race, ive been able to achieve a part of the project I always wanted in: steampunk androids (or perhaps clock work warforged?) either way these are the early progress i've done based on that work. With a few more tweaks these will become a part of Midland and as their own playable race in the near future.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 312
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 112
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 212

Finalized version of the new race. The tweaks i added were recreating the body shapes for the human body type and did so with much success!

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Androi10
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Some screenshots of the finalizations of the city. I had plans to go back and remodel every inch of it so it would best fit what i had in mind, but two years ago i never knew what that might be until now.

This is the new industrial sector, here local Melesians have migrated from their farmstead homes to produce iron products and fuel refinement as the primary sources of export. Local businesses mainly focus on creating products from pottery and ceramics, to autowagons and weapons of war.

The idea here is that industry plays a big part of Midland, this is an age of steam and industry and should reflect upon this idea that there is this big gap that divides magic and non magic among the populations of this world. Eventually id like to work on some immersive scripting, something where the player can become involved in the industrial process (IE crafting machines, or working for coin, etc).

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Indust12
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Indust11

Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 8:59 pm

*Psssssss!* A burst of steam clouds the nearby fields. A towering iron machine approaches, shadowing you as it passes over you with ease. Tall legs thunder and shake the ground with each step it takes to its target, then *KABOOM!* Welcome to the age of Steam Machines.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Mecha10

Armored Mobile Infantry are designed for support on frontline battles. I dont know entirely if I'll make more of them, this proved to be quite a challenge to construct (now I know ive said that in the past and ended up making alot more stuff, but we'll see!)

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Mechb10
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 am

I think with all this waiting around i started branching out abit on content creation, so for the past month i've been working on an idea taking advantage of E.E's Scaling Features creating a sort of Miniature Battlefield for some proper airship battles.

The skies over Montre Valley is a fine example of Verdant Meles Countryside, filled with lush forests, green pastures and glowing gold fields of wheat. In some cases however that luxury comes at a price.

Montre Valley is the southern Most Fiefdom of Meles, and a target for Burgarian Raids. Over the years the Royal Melesian Navy have taken upon themselves to defend their homeland against these heathen invaders using the latest in Military Engineering

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Airstr11
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Flyby10

Dog Fights, or Skirmishes, are common around The Skies of Montre valley and the people here are no strangers to war as the Royal Melesian Aeroforce and Navy take charge in the defense.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Dogfig12
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Dogfig13

Meles has numerous enemies of many varying backgrounds. The Burgarians over the years, for example, have learned to exploit weaknesses and as a people of War it was all too natural for them find them among the peaceful valleys, creating fast silent Vessels to raid on small towns.

Meles has countered these forces with Strong Tall Defense Towers, armed with infantry on watch. These brave men sound the alarm as they prepare to defend their homeland against invaders.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 City_r11

Defense Towers are stationary units with high HP and thick armor, but against a small squad of Bombers they are simply no match to their explosive Bombs.
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Brickt11

Anyways, That's all I have for today. Currently there is a plan to develop this further for better player interaction and larger "battle" airships in the future.
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2020 2:24 am

Okay abit of a random thing I did recently. I've been trying to gather some inspiration for more Steampunk ideas and I came across this game called Airships: Conquer the skies, if you know it, then you're awesome!

They have in the world a great idea how technology could be classified in Tiers where lighter-than-air bags are low tier and ... computers being in the top tier.

So while taking advantage of D20's skillsets, we now have a set of super computer's for every Budding Mad Scientists needs!

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Comput10
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Comput11

It's purpose is entirely unknown and the chances of you ever running across them will be rare. in the event that you do, it may be best to brush up on your computer skills to try and figure out what they do or simply gawk at the machines of madness.
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 4:58 pm

Okay wanted to give an update on the server situation

Ive started running a stand alone on my own computer to try and test the module online with some friends of mine. The only issue is connection problems for players trying to log on. So for now it'll remain as is and i may consider an open beta but id feel more confidant of myself if i had a more reliable system for everyone to connect to
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2020 2:03 am

Alright so while i sit and twiddle my thumbs on a server I've been hard at work still polishing up the gameworld and even got around to adding more content to the game that I feel should be in it for Lore reasons.

I'd like to introduce the various factions that players should expect in the Air Combat scene once this portion of the game goes live!

Melesian Aeroforce

First up is the Melesian Navy Aeroforce (or M.A). The robust Melesians have always been at odds with their neighbors of Burgaria and Brystol and are no strangers to keeping their borders safe. As such much of its Naval Air Force is primed for defensive purposes focusing on high-lift technology prefering to it as practical. Although considered outdated, a high-Lift design is proven effective in long-range voyages over the Industrial Lift Designs from the West. The M.A have proven to be quite a force when fighting and at times will choose fast aircraft such as the Biplane Hawk for enforcement.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Mairfo10

The Royal Navy - His Magesty's Ships

The Rösgardian Empire would hold the greatest threat to Eastern Midland were it not for its greatest obstacle, its own technology. As an empire of science much of Rosgarde relies upon its own hubris in ship building which is to say quite abit! Boasting some of the toughest state-of-the-art airships of its day, utilizing Hardened Steel known as "Turtle Armor" and charged Mithricite Turbine Engines there ships are able to achieve sizes unheard of into combat. His Magesty's Ships remain unchallenged within their domain but only as short-ranged defenders. Luckily the chances of you seeing them are quite rare!

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Hmsr10

Wizards of the Aether

Wizards are credited for being Midlands grandfather of flight. Why there was even a time when Wizards dominated the skies, creating powerful relics of Towering Flying Flotillas of immeasurable power. Today the School of The Aether continues the tradition by understanding and studying this Sky Biome they call "The Aether". Many Wizards can be seen going about their day, but it is wise to be alert around them as they are prone to be hostile (also Meles and its strong anti-magic ruling only worsens this already fragile understanding) and often unleash powerful Magic from high above.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Wiz_to12
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Wiz_to11
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Wiz_to10

Towers of Madness

Geniuses exist in all forms in Midland from humbling to maddening. Those who don't quite make the cut for the budding local genius Guild take up grants, loans, dead family inheritance and create their own Guilds of "I'll show them! They say I was mad! MAD I tell you!" often to the tune of angering local villagers with pitchforks and torches. These Towers are equipped  with state of the art defenses so it is best to never take on one alone unless you prefer to be fried to a crisp with its deadly Ray.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Mad_to11

Wizard Towers

No thanks to aggressive anti magic policies many wizards have chosen to setup studies and permanent dwellings away from large cities such as Meles. Unfortunately for them deforestation, and the search for more raw materials has led to conflict with these towers. Wizard Towers Pose as aerial threats to mostly local regions. Many of them are ran by outcast Wizards whom deny The Councils rule and cause disruption among commercial traffic.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Wiz_to13
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 12:45 am

Got an exciting news to share

I have in my possession a server I can use. affraid cheers bounce  lol! I consider it as a temporary server but for the time being it means i can finally move forward with the project and work on setting up another beta access.

Ive done some reconsideration on this part and decided to do a partial release of the server. What this means is you'll get to experience a good portion of the custom content and new mechanics while keeping the haks small and light (er) than the full game release will be.

The details of this will have you the player start off in the City of Meles, where once you enter after portaling subsequently will be thrusted into the busy streets to figure out on your own what to do.

There will be no guilds to join or quests in terms of a story line and will not serve as the actual game itself but rather what to expect once it goes live. A sort of Tutorial Sandbox if you will.

This will give me time to work or rework content until the final release. Until then be sure to look out for a date and update as to when that will happen. Time line wise i hope to have this up and running by the end of this month (October).
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Okay

tester got on, gave me feedback. in short theres alot more work than i thought there was going to be, but doing this solo can do that. im on track but theres always so much to do! gotta make sure theres some kind of direction, assuring a complete workable system and so on. From what i was told there doesnt seem to be a way to make the mechanics and game client work nicely together. Thats going to present some challenges. I hope to fix some of these issues in the future but for now as always im putting off the release date. Theres little point in releasing this if its unplayable.
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 1:16 pm

In other news there is now a discord channel. If you want to head there you can, heres an invite. it needs some polishing but as i said its there if anyone wants to use it.

https://discord.gg/hcyrQ8DefX
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 am

Update! Early Ambience of the City of Meles. In the future id like to work on adding some flavor toward the npcs, different dialogue conversations instead of "i bought a new dress!" add children playing tag, working npcs, npcs walking to destinations, etc but for now this is a good step in the right direction!

Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2020 5:20 pm

for some time time ive been steadily creating this image of a world i created and how i want it to look, but sometimes its uncertain to me of how a steampunk world might look like.

i think i narrowed down the look of what the society would look like but how would guilds, factions function in this world?

In this case what might a ground army look like in a world of clockwork, magic, and steam?

inspired by the late 19th and early 20th century ive created several novel new npc's specific to what a army would look like in a society that covets iron and steel at its core.

I've gone through several iterations, changes, ideas over the year and culminated to what you'll see below as de-facto.

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Milita10

Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 9:54 pm

New and the Old

Old Taxi Cab

Old Server Blog  - Page 2 Old_ta10

New Taxi cab (version 1.0) will be replacing the cabby and add a steering wheel later
Old Server Blog  - Page 2 New_ta10
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 8:11 pm

Just making sure Im keeping on top of things as far as work on the project is going.

I have been doing some on here making sure the Midlandpedia is as up to date as possible, as well as sharing what im doing here across various steampunk related group, so if youre new here Welcome in!

If you dont know what the Midlandpedia is, its a work in progress section of all the information about the game from races, to skills, classes, maps, weapons, factions and much more or just go check it out here: https://midland-steampunk.forumotion.com/f2-midlandpedia
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Just making a post to make sure everything here is as up to date as possible. I'm nearing an Open Alpha/Beta Phase of the project and have a server up and running to test things as needed. Eventually i'll be announcing access to the server but for now know that things are very close and running as they should!
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2021 11:20 am

August/September Update 2021

added 2 new books.

added four new quests.

redid the adventurers guild courtyard.

added achievements upon completing quests now!

quests and achievements will now tie into the reputation system now. Earning achievements will allow access to certain guilds and open new quests (IE: adventurers guild at this time).

added 8 new areas designated for DM events or possibly a really cool direction for the server. All related to the idea

General Update Info

General bug fixing.

General touchup of area's for stability.
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm still adding content and updates, but i've mostly switched over to Discord for that. If you popped on to check up on updates i highly suggest going there to see whats up or new

Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 10:35 pm

Added more content, more to the main story, lots of usual polishing efforts. everything is going slow but surely is happening. ive been trying to coordinate with my testers to try out the beta but thats also going... slowly, unfortunately but thats really the only bad news i have.
Back to top Go down
Big Boss
Admin
Big Boss

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2023 6:14 pm

Still around but ive delegated all updates on Discord theres just alot more activity by community members there so ive decided thats the place to be.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Server Blog    Old Server Blog  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Server Blog
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Gameworld of Steampunk and Fantasy :: Server Information-
Jump to: